Inflammation of the joint with wearing out of covering cartilage is known as Arthritis. The most common complaint of the people who have arthritis is Joint pain. The pain in the joint is because of the inflammation of the joint due to the wear and tear of the joint.
Arthritis can be classified based on its causes which are as under:
- DEGENERATIVE: OSTEOARTHRITIS, POST TRAUMATIC.
- INFLAMMATION: RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, REACTIVE ARTHRITIS.
- INFECTION: SEPTIC ARTHRITIS, TUBERCULOSIS.
- METABOLIC: GOUT, CHONDROCALCINOSIS.
Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis. The exact causes of osteoarthritis are unclear.
Factors increase your risk are people more than 45 years or older, females, Hereditary conditions, including defective cartilage & malformed joints. Joint injuries could be caused by physical activity or sports.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an auto immune disorder. It affects multiple joints – hands, feet, knees, wrist shoulder. Patients usually feel stiffness of joints early in the morning.
- Laboratory Tests
- Joint Fluid Analysis
- Ultra Sound Scanning
- CT Scans & MRI Scans (in Special Conditions)
- Bone Scan
The treatment depends on the cause of the problem. The treatment includes the following:
- Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs
- Disease Modifying Agents (especially for Rheumatoid Arthritis and other inflammatory arthritis)
- Compression Bandage
- Usage of Joint Protective Aids (Knee Splints or Braces)
- Walking aids & Foot Wear Modifications
- Surgical Options if required
- Gentle Stretching Exercises
- Gentle Moist Heat Application
- Western Commode Type of Toilets
- Avoid Climbing Stairs and instead use elevators
- Avoid aggressive massaging of joints
- Avoid wearing High Heel Footwear