Atopic eczema is a type of eczema which is inflammation of the skin. It is very common with children of 3 months of age and persists till 5-7 years of age. It aggravates every winter/ during any illness.
The common causes include genetic and environmental factors.
The symptoms of Atopic eczema are as under:
- Dry and scaly skin
- Rashes on the face, around the neck, wrists and front of the elbows.
- Skin infections caused due to scratching.
The treatment includes:
- Avoidance of exposure to external plants and insect bites which may lead to skin infection.
- Avoid usage of pollen (woollen, synthetic) fabrics, animal dander and fur.
- Usage of skin creams or ointments that control swelling and lower allergic reactions
- Oral antihistamines / topical steroids in severe cases.