Burning Mouth Syndrome as the name suggests presents as a generalized burning sensation in the mouth and the pain can last for months/years.
There are 2 types of Burning mouth syndrome namely:
1. Primary Burning Mouth Syndrome – This typically arises due to damage of the nerves that controls taste sensation and pain in the mouth.
2. Secondary Burning Mouth Syndrome – There are multiple causes for secondary burning mouth syndrome which are as under
- Severe drying of mouth (Sjogren’s syndrome)
- Dentures – Few people have allergy to acrylic material which are used in making the dentures
- Severe anemia
- Vitamin B deficiency
- Diabetes, thyroid problems
- Anti hypertensive drugs
- Fungal infection in the mouth
Primary burning mouth syndrome can be managed symptomatically by drinking cold water, chewing sugar less chewing gums, ice creams and by avoiding irritable substance such as hot spicy food.
Patients suffering from burning mouth syndrome should restrain themselves from smoking and alcohol consumption. Mouth washes containing alcohol should be avoided.
Management of Secondary burning mouth syndrome should include the above mentioned symptomatic treatment along with diagnosing the cause of burning mouth and treating the underlined cause.
To conclude Burning mouth has numerous causes and should not be taken lightly.
Visit your dentist at the earliest if you have constant burning sensation in the mouth.