Normal scalp has approximately 1 lakh hairs in adults of which 10% fall daily in normal individuals i.e. 100-150. Anything excess needs medical intervention.
Causes of generalized Hair fall are as below:
- Stress/ Lack of sleep.
- Irregular diet/ Lack of nutrition.
- Crash diet/Sudden weight loss.
- Scalp disease – dandruff.
- Hair treatments – straightening, hair colour etc.
- Post pregnancy.
- Post chronic illness.
- Following long term medications.
- Post chemo treatment/ major surgeries.
- Repeated change of hair products.
Hair fall starts 6 months to 1 year of inciting agent.
Hair fall in males can be hormonal (androgenetic), it is hereditary (in father/brothers) causes thinning of thick terminal hair or scalp. It starts in the sides of forehead and central scalp. It is in progressive condition unless treated to leave behind a band of unaffected hairs in back of scalp.
Hair fall can be stopped if treated early and on maintaining treatment usually 1-2 years can regrow the smaller hair follicles.
In late stages – Hair transplants can be done.