It is also known as Morbili/Rubeola. It is a highly infectious viral disease caused by paramyxo virus. It mainly affects children but it can occur at any age. It can spreads through air borne (coughing, sneezing) and by direct contact.
Measles is common in unvaccinated children, immuno deficient, malnutrition, pregnancy, Vitamin A deficiency.
- High fever (4 days fever)
- Running nose
- Red eyes
- Kopliks ‘ spot (spots in mouth which appears 1-2 days prior to rash)
- Tiredness, loss of appetite
- Rashes all over the body
It may lead to diarrhoea, pneumonia, ear infections, brain infections and SSPE (Sub acute sclerosing pan encephalitis)
- No specific treatment available for measles infection
- Symptomatic treatment given
- Paracetamol/ibuprofen given to treat fever & body aches
- Vaccination- all children are routinely immunised at 9 month age
- Vitamin A supplements
- Adequate fluid intake
- Good nutrition