Osteoporosis is a condition wherein the bone weakens with increased risk of fracture. Osteoporosis today is the bug bear of every society and osteoporosis has remained the most common ailment of the skeletal system.
There are typically no symptoms for osteoporosis until the bone weakens or is fractured.
Risk factors of Osteoporosis are as under:
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Excess alcohol intake
- Lack of exercise
- Thyroid problems
Thorough clinical examination with detailed history is most important. Commonly done investigations are as under:
- Blood tests
- Bone Mineral Density (BMD)
- Bone Densitometry
- DEXA Scan (Dual X-ray Absorptiometry)
- Adequate intake of dietary calcium and Vitamin D.
- Regular muscle strengthening exercise including walking.
- Avoid smoking and drinking excess alcohol.
- Hormone therapy