Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes of heel pain. It is an aseptic inflammation of the plantar fascia causes in person who do a great deal of standing and walking.
It causes severe pain and tenderness over the sole of the foot. In addition people who are overweight and those who wear shoes with inadequate support are at risk of plantar fasciitis. It is common for middle age people.
The causes of Plantar fasciitis are as below :
- Straining the ligament that supports your arch.
- Repeated strain can cause tiny tear in the ligament.
- Plantar fascia is strained by the way you walk/ by repeated stress it can become weak, swollen and irritated (inflamed).
- Repetitive activities like jobs that require prolonged standing/walking on hard surfaces.
- Stiffness and pain
- Pain is worse in early mornings
- Unable to bear weight on the foot while getting up from the bed
- Pain while climbing stairs
- Pain when standing on toes
- Pain when standing for long period
Diagnosis: X Ray
- Ultrasound therapy
- Inter Ferential Therapy (IFT)
- Short Wave Diathermy (SWD)
- Hot water formentation
- Foot wear with MCR ( Micro Cellular Rubber)
- Soft heel pads/cushions
Preventive measures to be taken are:
- Avoid prolong standing
- Wear shoes with good arch support/heel cushioning
- Maintain healthy weight