Stroke is a weakness or paralysis of hands or legs usually occurring in elderly people caused by blood clotting within the blood vessels and stoppage of blood flow to that part of the brain resulting in brain damage. It commonly presents with people having paralysis of limbs, speech problem, sometimes visual problems and difficulty in swallowing.
The causes of stroke are as follows:
- Pre disposing conditions such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Increased Cholesterol
- Vascular Anomalies
- Blood clotting disorders
- Cardiac disorder
- Lifestyle issues
To exactly diagnose the causative factor it needs a thorough clinical history, examinations and investigations. Ideally these patients should be admitted, investigated and treated on an emergency basis.
Best results are seen in those patients who are brought to the hospital within 6 hours.
Investigations done are as below:
- Blood test
- Chest X-Ray
- Carotid Doppler Scan
- CT Scan (Brain)
- MRI Scan
- Angiogram in some patients
The treatment usually includes:
- Blood thinners/anti coagulants
- Control of diabetes and hypertension
- Anti Cholesterol drugs
- Maintaining good hydration with IV (intravenous) fluids
- Acute inpatient care followed by Neuro rehabilitation
Sometimes anti biotic may also be needed.
In some cases, they may require surgery as a life saving measure.