Sun rays reach us as electromagnetic waves.
Sunscreens are drugs which are applied with intention of preventing sunlight harmful rays from reaching skin.
Sunscreen Protection Criteria:
- SPF (Sunburn Protection Factor) – minimal 30+ SPF needed for Indian skin. Measures UVB protection.
- PA factor – Measures UVA protection
- Boot Star rating – Measures UVA protection
- Water resistant Sunscreen: Able to retain effect after 2 immersions in water for 20 minutes each.
Benefits of sunscreen:
- Anti aging
- Halts Photo aging
- Avoid tanning, Pigmentation
How to apply sunscreen:
Right amount: Arm (Both), face, neck – 3ml every time.
When to apply: Daily even when indoors apply in morning and also repeat in afternoon in 4-5 hrs of gap more frequently if sweating/swimming.
Which: Lotions/creams for dry/normal skin. Gels for oily skin with pimples
Who can use: Above 16 yrs of age can use daily. For children, physical sunscreens are advised.