Tennis elbow is an inflammatory condition of the common extensor muscle over the lateral condyle. It is also known as Lateral Epicondylitis.
Common causes of Tennis Elbow are as below:
- Extensive work of wrist
- Sudden contracture of extensor origin
- Unknown causes
Symptoms of tennis elbow include:
- Pain from activities that use the muscles that extend the wrist (e.g. pouring a container of liquid, sweeping, especially where wrist movement is required)
- Weak grip and pain in wrist movements
- Pain over the back of forearm
Tennis elbow can be diagnosed by X Ray and also Cozen test.
Cozen test: It is done when the pain increases with resisted extension of wrist in full elbow extension.
Treatment done is:
- Modalities: These include Ultrasound and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS).
- Massage therapy
- Splint: Immobilizing the part